Wednesday, February 10, 2010

what I love [photo challenge]

About two weeks ago, the amazing Clara (who supplies me with inspiration and amazing textures) announced a challenge: she wanted her fans to take and share no less than three photos of their current obsessions. It's taken me two weeks to decide what I'm 'obsessed' with. I wish I could say I just went "oh, I really like..." and put off posting; it's a little stranger to admit that I had no idea what I love so much. The first thing that came to mind are highlighters. I don't really have a lot to obsess over, especially since my wardrobe as of late is almost entirely jeans and t-shirts and I rarely wear makeup.

After much contemplation, I remembered what causes me to have high-pitched squeaking fits of pure glee. I guess that counts as loving something, right?

I have a weakness for 'vintage' cameras. Old cameras make me giggle like a schoolgirl. I am known for picking up cameras at thrift stores or receiving them as hand-me-downs and slaving over them, trying to restore them. It was somewhat difficult to pick which cameras I was going to photograph but I decided to go with simple cameras that mean a lot. Maybe next time, I'll show you my collection of film SLRs.
what I love

The upper left hand camera used to belong to Doug's Uncle Matt. I'm not entirely sure how it ended up in my possession. One minute, I was looking at it in the basement with Grandma Linda and the next thing I knew, it was in my 'to pack' pile. The one to the right of that one is Yoshi. My dad surprised me with him when I couldn't fix my thrift store Petri. A girl just needs a rangefinder sometimes. The middle row is a really cool tripod that came to me, care of the Hollingsworths. I kind of like it more as a prop than as a functional tripod. But the most important camera is the bottom one, in the position of honor. It previously belonged to Doug's great-grandfather and rumor has it, this camera has photographed the Beatles! She takes a specialty film I need to order from New York City and I can't wait to get her out in the field for a test.

All the photos taken for the collage were taken with my 50mm 1.8 because I wanted to challenge myself twice as much.

No comments:

Post a Comment