Sunday, October 3, 2010

chasing a simple dream

I apologize in advance for how many photos there are but I am so excited to share them.

In my last post, I mentioned how excited I was to finally be able to shoot at the sign I've been gazing at longingly for years. Honestly, I am kicking myself for not doing it sooner. I sent out a text message randomly yesterday around noon, asking if anyone wanted to do a photo shoot. I got three ecstatic responses, several people lamenting having previous plans or obligations, and not a single no. My heart was skipping like a rock across a pond. My friends, who get shoved in front of my camera mercilessly, not only were willing to take part in my crazy half-planned idea but they wanted me to flush it out more and to plan more shoots. It's still hitting me now: this is my life.

sign
sign 2
sign 3
sign diptych
sign 4
sign diptych 2
Cassidy diptych
lifeguard stand dance
beach gothic
beach pose diptych
beach walk
beach pose diptych 2
beach dance 2

The ring pop proposal was totally their idea. I didn't even know who was proposing to whom until I had my camera trained on the dry patch of sand.

fauxposal


While I was waiting for it to be time to head out (aka waiting for the golden hour), I posted a link on Facebook to the fabulous Boudoir Divas shoot that gave me the push I needed to just grab my friends and go shoot. While she was doing her makeup, Cassidy discussed the shoot with me and was teasing me about doing a shoot sort of like that. I feel that we did, albeit without a lot of the kick-ass styling. Next time, we will plan something out in advance and have an amazing time.

beach pose
waves roll in
beach pose 2
beach pose flash diptych
beach pose 3
wave dancing
beach shower diptych
beach shower

One of the funniest moments of the shoot was me trying to get Melinda into the pose I wanted. It was easier for me to hand off my camera to Andy so I could get into position and show them what I wanted... and then I got splashed by a wave and Andy took a shot and I look quite silly and wet and happy.

me posing

I 'planned' this shoot to be able to practice back-button focusing and fill flash (before I attempt to take my flash off-camera) but it certainly ended up being more of a workshop on communicating my ideas effectively and confidently. And it feels so amazing to be able to walk up to someone and say "hey, this is what we're doing and it's going to be amazing" and have them believe that it is because that's how I imagine it. This is pushing me one step closer to going pro.

No comments:

Post a Comment