Thursday, April 7, 2011

fairy tales and false utopias

Sorry for the long time between posts. Another day, another diagnosis.
That, and I had a LOT of photos to edit. On Saturday, I covered a Girl Scout event, followed by one of the most amazing personal project shoots ever. While officially, I am turning in one of these shots for my digital art class, I took these for me.

First, a fairy tale. The piece for class needs to be based off a fairy tale or traditional folk tale. I decided to go the crazy, inspired route and do the Brothers Grimm version of Sleeping Beauty. My inspiration was the fact that the original story references a spindle, not a spinning wheel, and I just so happened to have a friend with a drop spindle. Some fake blood, a princess dress, and two tiaras later, we had these.
spinning beauty 1
spinning beauty 2
spinning beauty 3
spinning beauty 4
spinning beauty 5
spinning beauty 6
spinning beauty 7
spinning beauty 8
spinning beauty 9
spinning beauty 10
spinning beauty 11
I'm planning to make a mixed media piece with fake blood and the yarn she was spinning. I can't wait to have it hanging on my wall.


We also decided since she was bloody anyway, we might as well have some fun with it. I have an Eve hypo from Bioshock and decided it would be fun to have her be a splicer trying to stab me. Sadly, we ran out of time before we could light up the hypo and go crazy.
splicer 1
splicer 2
splicer 3
splicer 4
But there's always next time

No comments:

Post a Comment