Monday, December 6, 2010

a large post, long overdue

Dear home,
This is why I have an apology tag. It's because life happens and I can't always get to blog. So to make up for it, I made a bunch of diptychs and triptychs so I could share a ton of photos.


Last week was Doug's birthday and Thanksgiving so we went up to Crestview to see his family. We left before the sun rose and I got to watch the sky lighten from the turnpike. That just may be one of my favorite parts about roadtrips. And it was cold! Our windows fogged up and the made the golden hour sun even more beautiful.
foggy sunrise diptych
The drive up was pretty calm and I lazily knitted or took pictures out the window the entire time. But the second we got off the highway and started driving the back roads into Crestview, I was glued to the window. I can't help it. I have a serious love affair with the abandoned truck stop.
abandoned truck stop drive-by
I also enjoy spotting 'small town' gems like the water tower and the barber shop.
Crestview retro details
They're still a novelty to me and I get so excited to spot them out my window.

I love Doug enough not to share photos from his twenty-first birthday celebration.


Saturday, his parents drove us to Mobile, Alabama to go Christmas light looking at Bellingrath Gardens. It was an interested adventure and I don't want to mar it with too much commentary. Instead, I'm giving you more photos in larger sizes. The lights were positively breathtaking and the steps I took to avoid the crowds often lead to an even better perspective to photograph.
Bellingrath Gardens Christmas lights 1
Doug kept asking me to take his picture with the fountain or the "light posts from Narnia" and I was so happy to oblige.
Bellingrath Gardens Christmas lights 2
Narnia light posts
Bellingrath Gardens Christmas lights 3
Bellingrath Gardens Christmas lights 4
Everyone else was trying to take pictures of this trumpeter head-on so I uh... climbed into a planter. Anything for a shot, right?
Bellingrath Gardens Christmas lights 5
Bellingrath Gardens Christmas lights 6
Bellingrath Gardens Christmas lights 7
Bellingrath Gardens Christmas lights 8

We must have spent most of our time in the under the sea portion of the gardens. I was in heaven and did not want to leave.
Bellingrath Gardens Christmas lights 9
Bellingrath Gardens Christmas lights 10
Bellingrath Gardens Christmas lights 11
Bellingrath Gardens Christmas lights 12
Bellingrath Gardens Christmas lights 13

The rest of the garden was no less impressive.
Bellingrath Gardens Christmas lights 14
Bellingrath Gardens Christmas lights 16
Bellingrath Gardens Christmas lights 17
Bellingrath Gardens Christmas lights 18
Bellingrath Gardens Christmas lights 20
One last light post and we could go inside and warm up. It was in the mid-to-low fourties outside and I was cold.
Bellingrath Gardens Christmas lights 19


Sunday morning dawned cold and there was frost on the ground when we set out for home. The windshield was covered in frost and I was amazed enough to take a few pictures between imploring Doug to turn up the heat.
frosty window
On the drive home, we encountered quite a bit of traffic and ended up taking side roads for hours. The 8 hour trip turned into a 13 hour trek but it was worth it for me because I got to see a building I dubbed the 'rainbow connection' and a retired PanAm airplane.
rainbow connection
This is one of the coolest shots I've ever made and it was pure serendipity that the sun was breaking through the clouds the way it was. I don't think I could find the place again if I tried.
retired PanAm plane


Did this make up for my absence?

No comments:

Post a Comment