Monday, July 9, 2012

an adventure in your honor

Today was an interesting adventure, albeit under unfortunate circumstances. You may remember in October, I flew out to Salt Lake City to photograph a meet-and-greet with Jack's Mannequin. The woman in charge of that amazing experience is Terri, who has been friends with my mom since they were 15. Aunt Terri runs Cancer Wellness House, an amazing non-profit organization dedicated to helping cancer survivors and their families. Sadly, her mother passed away from cancer this weekend. Today, we went to the fruit stand to send a basket in honor of Suzanne and ended up at the IGFA Hall of Fame. Terri's son, Justin, was a fishing fanatic. He passed away when I was a sophomore in college. I know that sometimes she reads my blog and I just wanted to share with her (and with the rest of my readers) what we did today while we were thinking of her and her family.

We started off by going to Bob Roth Groves. It's become somewhat of a tradition to stop off there on our way to and from the cemetery where my grandmother, great-aunt, and step-father are buried. This fruit stand is known for its amazing key lime pies, but we also know them as huge supports of the American Cancer Society's Relay For Life. I could not think of a more appropriate place to send a gift basket from.
fruit stand
Afterward, we needed to run an errand at Outdoor World and we ended up at the IGFA Hall of Fame. I was going to get just one photo in honor of Justin, but then mom remembered that it was the first weekend of the month so our admission would be free. (Thank you Bank of America!) While none of us are into sport fishing, we still had a great time and got plenty of photos. The ecosystem boardwalk has always been and always will be one of my favorite things ever.
IGFA 1
IGFA 2
IGFA 3
IGFA 4
IGFA 5
IGFA 6
IGFA 7
IGFA 8
IGFA 9
IGFA 10
IGFA 11
IGFA 12
IGFA 13
IGFA 14
IGFA 15
IGFA 16
IGFA 17
IGFA 18
IGFA 19
Doug had never been to Outdoor World so we walked the whole store, including the Islamorada Fish Company. It was a wonderful end to the day.
Outdoor World 1
Outdoor World 2
Outdoor World 3
Outdoor World 4
Outdoor World 5
Outdoor World 6

1 comment:

  1. Brenda, Thank you so much for this post. What a magnificent way to pay tribute to Justin and my mom. We are so blessed by you, Ryan, Doug, your mommy, aunt, cousin Mar, and grandpop. I love you so very much.

    ReplyDelete