Monday, April 16, 2012

the story of the city is written in the stones

Yesterday we had too much time before a party and were in the neighborhood so I talked my mom into exploring an abandoned parking garage with me. I had never been to this location before and it was pretty amazing.
abandoned garage diptych 1
abandoned garage plants
abandoned garage 1
abandoned garage 2
abandoned garage 3
abandoned garage 4
abandoned garage 5
abandoned garage diptych 2
abandoned garage diptych 3
When I was going in for this shot, I started some pigeons out of their comfortable hiding place and they scared the living daylights out of me. I screamed and flailed a little. I'm not a very good urban explorer.
abandoned garage 6
abandoned garage diptych 4
abandoned garage diptych 5
abandoned garage 7
abandoned garage diptych 6

Many urban explorers employ HDR to enhance the scene and capture all the shadows, highlights, and details as they saw them (or better than they were in real life). I was having issues with the contrasty midday sun and my digital camera's issues capturing decent dynamic range so I decided to try some HDR too. They look artistic but fake. There's a time and a place for HDR and I don't know if the rooftop of this garage was the right place.
abandoned garage HDR 1
abandoned garage HDR 2

There was surprisingly little graffiti or intentional damage. I was both excited and disappointed to note this.
abandoned garage 8
abandoned garage 9
abandoned garage 10
abandoned garage 11
abandoned garage 12
abandoned garage diptych 7
abandoned garage 13
abandoned garage 14
abandoned garage 15
abandoned garage 16
abandoned garage 17
abandoned garage diptych 8
abandoned garage 18
abandoned garage 19
abandoned garage 20
abandoned garage diptych 9
abandoned garage 21
abandoned garage 22
abandoned garage 23
abandoned garage 24
abandoned garage 25
abandoned garage 26
abandoned garage 27


Back in the day when this place was still open, I came here with my family. It's so strange to see that it's shut up and just decaying, even though everything around it is still open. I feel like I owe it to the building this garage attaches to to tell its story. I just need to get permission to explore.

No comments:

Post a Comment