Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Happiness is a 2' by 3' print

I was sitting at work today when brotherface texted me this photo.

In case you never heard this story, let me start at the beginning. This past winter concert was the first time that the band, orchestra, and chorus all performed together. The head of the music department wanted to capture this momentous occasion and asked if anyone knew someone with a decent camera. Since he knew I was bringing my camera anyway, my brother volunteered me to take the picture.
While they were rearranging the stage to fit everyone on, I dashed to the back of the auditorium to stake out my place. I took a few test shots before they started to get the exposure right, make sure I could fit everyone into the frame, and get a decent amount of sharpness. But once the "Hallelujah Chorus" began, I was ready. I took a few different shots as the lighting changed and the musicians moved so I could capture what it was like to be there and hear them play.
winter concert 16
Later, brotherface told me that they wanted a large print to hang on the wall. Jokingly, I told him that the largest print Mpix could make is 2' by 3' (yes, that's three feet across) and asked if that was big enough. I priced it and sent the information to the band director, who immediately asked me to order it.

Not only does it have a Brendazzle Photography imprint on the back, he let me sign the front in silver Sharpie. (Ok, silver paint pen. We couldn't find a silver Sharpie in any of the stores we went to.) He also added his own caption on the front and then he hung it up in the band room.
Sorry. I can't contain my excitement. I have this love affair with large prints. I think a lot of photographers do. This is the first large print I ever had made and it's HUGE. I'm not sure how I'm going to top this; luckily, I'm currently redecorating my room.

No comments:

Post a Comment