Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Flamingo Gardens

Over the weekend, mom and I went on a mother-daughter trip to Flamingo Gardens with one of her coworkers (and her daughter). Unfortunately, I got super sick as we were leaving and I'm trying to blog this while hopped up on cough syrup. Please politely correct any typos, grammatical fails, or sentences that make absolutely NO sense in the comments.


Mom and I arrived early so while we were waiting for her coworker, I wandered around the front area, visiting the beautiful birds and reading about how the site is a county historical landmark.
Flamingo Gardens 1
Flamingo Gardens 2
Flamingo Gardens 3
Flamingo Gardens 4
Flamingo Gardens 5

We hadn't even gotten into the gardens proper before I saw the first peacock and I was in love.
Flamingo Gardens 6
We ended up wandering towards the birds of prey and the Wildlife Encounters show.
Flamingo Gardens 7
Flamingo Gardens 8
I love, love, love owls too.
Flamingo Gardens 9
Flamingo Gardens 11

From there, we proceeded into the aviary. It was so awesome to see some of these birds up close, especially the roseate spoonbill.
Flamingo Gardens 12
Flamingo Gardens 13

Then we wandered back into another section of birds of prey.
Flamingo Gardens 14
Flamingo Gardens 15
I was so focused on capturing this hawk's expression that I didn't even notice the flare until I got home.
Flamingo Gardens 16

The little girl we were with was as obsessed with spider webs and peacocks as I am. It was amazing to be shooting side by side with her (me with my DSLR, her with her cell phone). I would find the perfect angle and light and then have her stand right where I was.
Flamingo Gardens 17
Flamingo Gardens 18
Flamingo Gardens 19
Flamingo Gardens 20

This is one of the most amazing accidental photos I ever captured. I had the composition all set and then the couple (who I had counted on having continue walking) stopped.
Flamingo Gardens 21

Flamingo Gardens 22
Flamingo Gardens 23
Flamingo Gardens 24

Mom's coworker was super excited about the flamingo pond, so we spent a lot of time there.
Flamingo Gardens 25
Flamingo Gardens 26
Flamingo Gardens 27

One of the things I love the most about Flamingo Gardens is their commitment to preservation. I got to see otters, alligators, bobcats, and would have seen a panther if it wasn't in the back of its enclosure (out of eyesight).
Flamingo Gardens 28
Flamingo Gardens 29
I also got to see some of my favorite water birds, including night herons and wood storks.
Flamingo Gardens 30
Flamingo Gardens 31
Flamingo Gardens 32
Flamingo Gardens 33
Flamingo Gardens 34
Flamingo Gardens 35
Flamingo Gardens 36
Flamingo Gardens 37

At one point, there was a peacock following me, trying to figure out my camera.
Flamingo Gardens 38
Flamingo Gardens 39
Flamingo Gardens 40

I even got to see a sandhill crane.
Flamingo Gardens 41
Flamingo Gardens 42

As we were leaving, we saw a family of raccoons. I was feeling like death but I managed to get one good shot before I got too sick to hold my camera.
Flamingo Gardens 43

1 comment:

  1. I love every one of those bird photos You really know what you are doing

    ReplyDelete